We’ve all heard how important water is for life. Not just important – absolutely vital ! Water is life.
Our body is comprised of approximately 70% water so it makes sense that we need to keep hydrated so our cells, tissues and organs can function optimally. It is generally accepted that we should drink around 6 – 8 glasses (2 litres) of water per day to replace water excreted via the breath, urine, bowel movements and perspiration. Just how much water you need to drink depends on a number of factors including the climate where you live and work, how physically active you are, the state of your health, your type of diet and your environment (eg air conditioning is drying).
We are very fortunate in Australia to have water on tap – vast networks of pipes bring water to us whenever we demand. A luxury indeed compared to many other nations. However, the water treatment processes leave residues and contaminants such as disinfectants (chlorine), chemical coagulants and flocculants. The disinfectants don’t always kill off all the pathogenic organisms such as cryptosporidium and giardia which can be dangerous particularly in immune compromised persons ( young children, sick persons, and the elderly). The forms of fluoride added to the town water are by-products of industrial waste from phosphate fertilizer industry and it is not the form of fluoride that our teeth require – teeth (and bones) need a tiny bit of calcium fluoride and many foods and drinks contain calcium fluoride such as:
So if you are eating these common foods, and drinking black or green tea or apple juice or grape juice you are getting enough calcium fluoride. The sodium fluoride in the tap water is unnecessary and actually toxic.
More and more people are concerned about the side effects of these chemical additives in the tap water, and are choosing to filter their tap water. There are some great filter systems available in a variety of styles and price ranges. Each of them have their pros and cons. I had investigated these systems for a long time before I finally decided to try the zazen water filter system based off the fact that a person I knew and respected from my college days (she’s a physicist and a naturopath) had put her stamp of approval on the product. This system has been designed specifically for Australian tap water to
- filter out the chemical residues of water treatment process
- filter out heavy metals such as lead, iron and copper from the water pipes
- filter out microorganisms such as cryptosporidium and giardia
- add in minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, silicon and other trace minerals that are necessary for health and found naturally in spring water.
The zazen system is designed to mimic mother nature and I am very happy with the way this product transforms tap water into clean, hydrating, fresh tasting water. In the end the decision about which filter system to invest in for your health is up to you. But if you decide to try the zazen system you can purchase it from my shop.
WANT MORE INFORMATION about WATER FILTRATION ?
- Get the low down on the forms of fluoride added to tap water here: http://fluoridealert.org/issues/water/fluoridation-chemicals/
- This article provides a great overview of Australian water and the possible reasons for needing to filter the tap water: https://www.choice.com.au/food-and-drink/drinks/water/articles/water-filters-do-you-need-one