This recipe needs to be started the day before due to overnight soaking of the barley.
Cooking time approx. 30 -45 mins
- 1/2 Cup Pearl Barley
- 3 Cups filtered water
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1 tabs finely sliced and chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 stick celery – finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Organic powdered Sumac
- 1 teaspoon Celtic Sea salt
- VEGIES- 1/2 cup of each Chopped into 1cm cubes – Pumpkin(peeled), Carrot, Potato (skin on) and Sweet Potato (skin on)
- 1 tin Organic Diced Tomatoes
- Handful of Parsley and Kale – both finely chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- Soak the barley in the filtered water for at least 12 hours
- Saute the onion, celery and ginger for about 5mins
- Add the chopped vegies and the sumac and stir over low heat for about 10 mins
- Add the Barley and the Water it soaked in, the Tinned Tomatoes and the Salt and bring to the boil. Turn down heat and simmer 30 – 45mins until vegies are softened. You may need to add a little extra water if you prefer a wetter soup.
- Add Parsley and Kale and Lemon Juice for the last 5mins of simmering.
Your delicious nourishing warming winter soup is now ready to Serve