For those of us who live in Sydney Australia, the February new moon occurs at 6:05am on Friday 12th February 2021. We are still 11 hours ahead of GMT/UTC so for readers in the UK and USA it will be occurring on 11th February. Check out your time zone here https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/
This new moon is at 23 degrees of Aquarius and this time the new moon forms a stellium of 6 planets in Aquarius. Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn are the planets in Aquarius – all making a challenging aspect to Mars and/or Uranus in the sign of Taurus. More about this later.
The sign of Aquarius has particular affinity with humanitarianism, independence and individuality, social groups and networks, friendship, inventiveness, rebellion and revolution, and goals that are more socially conscious than personal. Traditionally ruled by Saturn until the discovery and assignment of Uranus to Aquarius in the 18th Century, there are 2 key points of difference in the Aquarian evolution – Saturnian Aquarius was very much about tradition, control and order so new ideas were only welcomed after careful consideration and disciplined re-organisation of existing systems; this contrasts greatly with Uranian Aquarius which is guided more by visionary, creative, inspired ideas that are more inclusive of perceived differences, attempt to be fairer and just across the whole population and are informed by the needs of the greater good ie traditions are not upheld unless they are contributing to the growth and evolution of human consciousness.
Uranian Aquarius is not going to be able to keep the current system intact if it fails to serve the whole. We have the classic example of the French Revolution in the late 18th century which completely obliterated an existing system – the monarchy – and attempted to create a society where all people were treated as equals “Liberty, equality and fraternity” was one of the mottos of that time. The violence of this revolution was a consequence of the ruling classes failing to concede that their way of life was inconsiderate of the whole and was creating great suffering for anyone outside the ruling group. Uranian energy was influencing human consciousness and causing great change and upheaval to the structure of society. (Dare I suggest that these themes are repeating?)
Experiments with electricity and how to harness and utilise its power began in earnest in the 18th Century and it’s no surprise that Uranus was discovered in the same century. Electricity has revolutionised the way we live from the provision of electrical light, heating and cooling, to the ongoing development of communication devices, machines and tools and we have the fast paced development of technology that has reached and influences the lives of nearly every person on the planet.
As Uranus makes its way through the sign of Taurus we are seeing a revolutionary approach to agricultural practices that are creating regenerative systems and relying on the natural flows of nature to build sustainable eco-systems that utilise the by-products and waste to become a resource and provide us with, for example, our food, medicines, building materials and clothing whilst minimising or eradicating the dumping of pollution and toxic waste that is poisoning all life forms. Mars in Taurus brings a drive to attain material security and it goes about it in a persistent, practical, methodical way. The current challenge from the position of Mars to the Aquarian stellium of planets is that the personal will must be balanced with a consideration for the good of the greater community/society. Uranus, in its unpredictable way, will bring upheaval to anything that is not in alignment with the greater good. You can have your cake, but with Uranus at the ready you can be sure that cake won’t taste good if you aim to eat it all by yourself.
So how can we work with these powerful Aquarian energies to create intentions that are beneficial for our personal development and the accomplishment of our personal goals?
Frame your intentions around these themes/areas:
- seek innovative solutions to your problems and do things differently not just out of habit
- investigate technology – question it – how it might assist you and improve your efficiency and expertise; how it might give you more freedom. Widen your view and question if the technology gives more power to the people or to the authorities?
- Ask yourself how might you do things differently so that you are reducing your ecological waste and increasing your contribution to a fair and equitable thriving community
- Real independence and freedom comes from honesty, self-discipline and appreciation that we each are part of the whole; Aim to widen your perspective to hold more inclusive attitudes towards people and ideas that are different to your conditioned beliefs and attitudes
- accept the unexpected because resistance only brings more suffering. Meditation assists us in accessing the non-egoic visionary ideas that come from the unformed void of creative potential. Make time for meditation and allow yourself to explore new ideas and share them with others in your group – you never know who may be able to assist you in the manifestation or development of your ideas and goals.
Setting your intention
Optimal timing of setting your new moon intentions is in the 8 hour period immediately following the time of the new moon. Your window of opportunity to set your intentions for this Aquarius new Moon (in Sydney) is from 6:05am to 2:05pm Friday 12th Feb.
To set your intentions it is important to handwrite your intentions on paper – there is something profound about the act of handwriting because your energy and intention flows through your hand and onto the page via the pen. Notice how your handwriting style may change according to your mood, so it reflects more of your inner feelings than typing on a keyboard.
It is recommended to create at least 3 intentions and a maximum of 10. Any more will dilute the energy. Intentions are phrased as wants/wishes and it is important that you write them in a way that activates your feelings so you are emotionally involved with the intention.
Examples of intentions for this Aquarius new moon
- I want to easily perceive a new way to contribute to my community
- I want to grow edible plants and share the produce with my neighbours.
- I want to take more interest in my local community and find ways to participate in community events and meetings and share my ideas with others.
- I want to join a ………….. group and meet new people who share my interest in ……………….
- I want to learn how to use …….. software that will help me be more efficient in my business.
- I want to find new ways of re-using or re-purposing things that I would usually chuck in the bin.
- I intend to stop using products that have been made from slave labour and only purchase Fairtrade products.
- I am willing to question my social fears and prejudices and find myself able to consider the views of those from other social/economic/political backgrounds.
- I am willing to hear other’s opinions and ideas and consider them objectively without jumping immediately to defend my position.
- I am willing to consider my personal goals from a wider perspective and question them in light of how they might affect the well-being of others and the future generations.
- I want to establish personal goals that will also have a beneficial effect for others beyond my family