This year’s Virgo new moon occurs on Thursday 17th September at 9pm (Sydney Australia time).
For those of you who are new to this concept, setting your intentions at the new moon is a powerful tool for manifesting what you really want for your life. The aim of intention setting at the new moon is to work with the energy of beginnings represented by each new moon according to the areas of influence of the zodiac sign it occurs in.
You set your intentions and goals in relation to the topics of influence covered by the zodiac sign. If you know your time of birth and have your astrology birth-chart handy, you will be able to see which House the new moon is in and get more specific with your intentions to target that area of your life. For example, if the Virgo new moon falls in your 6th House this might be an opportunity to focus your intentions upon improving your digestive health, developing daily routines at home that serve you better, improving your efficiency in your job, and improving your attitude towards your work.
In astrology the moon governs the emotions, the brain, body fluids, growth and development, and our subconscious habits in relation to how we react to circumstance and situations. The moon’s cycle around the earth is just over 28 days and due to its position in relation to the sun, we experience the phasing as it moves from new moon to first quarter to full moon to third quarter and back to new moon. The full and new moons bring with them the greatest range between high and low tide (the highest high tide and the lowest low tide) and on the first & third quarter bring the smallest range between high and low tide.(1). The new moon is the beginning of the cycle – waxing (increasing in power) up to the full moon, then waning (decreasing in power) as it approaches the end of the cycle.
If we look at the topics of influence of the zodiac sign of Virgo we have:
- health – particularly of the digestive system. Diet and exercise comes into this because these are daily processes that we have the opportunity to look at honestly and make positive changes that will improve our health and vitality.
- mental processes including critical thinking and how we analyse a subject or situation. Look at whether you need to spend a bit more time with careful analysis of an idea before you jump in. Or perhaps you need to drop the habit of trying to shore up every possible scenario and just dive in and see where it takes you! The assimilation of new ideas is covered here too – the ways in which we incorporate new information into our life so we can benefit from it and this usually involves creating new habits of behaviour to replace old ones that are no longer serving our well-being.
- the environment of our workplace and daily household chores like cooking, cleaning and laundry and relationships with co-workers. We can look at the routines and processes of our job and discover more effective ways of accomplishing what we want to accomplish. Look at your work habits and see if you really need to do it that way. Maybe we have been working too hard and need to take regular breaks – like taking a walk at lunch-time to stretch our legs and benefit from a change of scene so we feel refreshed for the afternoon’s demands.
- Striving for perfection which can be a two edged sword. On the one hand we can be continually improving our processes and practising our craft which leads to more efficient and effective actions and outcomes. Consider the musician who practises 4 hours a day. She may become a master of her instrument, but if she doesn’t think she is good enough, there’s the risk that she will never perform to an audience and her talent and skill remains hidden. Her gift is not shared with others. We also have the parent who is so concerned about having a tidy house that the children are never able to really explore their creativity for fear of making a mess. So the striving for perfection needs to be balanced with an understanding of the bigger picture.
The new moon in Virgo means we are more likely to be experiencing a heightening of emotions and issues around matters relating to our health, the way we are working – can we improve the efficiency of our work, do we need to look at changing our work-life balance, do we need to ask for help at home with the daily chores. In Australia it is the perfect time to look at our health and fitness because it is springtime! There’s really no better time to decide to improve your habits and be the healthy, happy, effective person you really want to be!
Setting your intention
Timing of setting your new moon intentions is to occur in the 8 hour period immediately following the time of the new moon. Your window of opportunity to set your intentions for this Virgo new moon is from 9:00 pm Thursday till 5:00am Friday.
To set your intentions it is important to handwrite your intentions on paper – there is something profound about the act of handwriting because your energy and intention flows through your hand and onto the page via the pen. Notice how your handwriting style may change according to your mood, so it reflects more of your inner feelings than typing on a keyboard.
It is recommended to create at least 3 intentions and a maximum of 10. Any more will dilute the energy. Intentions are phrased as wants/wishes and it is important that you write them in a way that activates your feelings so you are emotionally involved with the intention.
Examples of intentions for this Virgo new moon
- I want to easily add half hour daily exercise into my routine so I experience better fitness.
- I want to easily find myself enjoying the process of cooking with fresh foods each day.
- I want to easily find myself attending to my paperwork and filing it neatly so I can find it at tax time.
- I want to stop judging others for how they choose to live their lives and focus my attention on what feels right for me.
- I want to easily find myself completing my work in an efficient way.
- I want to bring in new routines to keep my house clean and tidy and easily find myself keeping to them.
- I want to easily find myself saying no to co-workers who bully me to go drinking with them after work.
- I want to release insecurity around my skill level so I can begin to make a positive contribution to the weekly staff meetings.
- Moon’s effect on ocean tides explained in simple terms https://www.ducksters.com/science/earth_science/ocean_tides.php